Join the Movement as the Northern California Community Organizer
The Jakara Movement with the Guru’s Nadir (Grace), seva of our volunteers, and the baksh (benediction) of the Sangat is pleased to announce our fourth employment position. We are seeking a Northern California Community Organizer to help develop the gambit of Jakara Movement programs and chapters (misls).
Position Title: Community Organizer
Organizational Relationship: Reporting to the Executive Director
General Summary: The Jakara Movement Community Organizer will recruit, develop, retain and train volunteers, help them organize communities through local chapters, and implement community campaigns, programs, events, and actions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help lead the development and coordination of the youth membership program to build core leadership, youth organizing capacities, and development of members.
- Lead the development of school clubs at local high schools (Sikh Honors and Service Societies) and local colleges/universities (Sikh Students Associations)
- Lead the development of working relationships with key local institutions (including Gurdwaras), ally youth organizations and intermediary groups (movement and coalition building).
- Work with current misl leaders, while recruiting and training new volunteer leaders as needed, identify and develop program outcomes (including responses to local community events) goals, strategies, tactics, and timelines.
- Connect volunteers/misl councils to action items in response to community crisis events (ie protests, social media campaigns, donation drives, letter/petition writing campaigns, etc).
- Lead monthly workshops, trainings, and community events that serve to meet community needs, community organizing, promote the organization, and allow points of entry for new members
- Represent the organization at all times, especially in connection with other organizations and allies
- Implement and help with re-assessment of existing plans.
- Train volunteers in community organizing skills and execution, including workshops, informal meetings, and when possible, one-on-one trainings.
- Work with parents in communities in needs assessments and program development and execution
- Develop content and materials for workshops, activities and lessons
- Act as supporter, mentor, coach, and example to volunteers at the entry through top leadership levels.
- Make presentations to community bodies regarding misl (chapter) efforts. Writes press releases, newsletters, flyers, blogs, usage of social media etc, to keep the membership and the general public informed. Train volunteers on how to perform these functions.
- Maintain volunteer database and lists of volunteer openings and refers interested members to appropriate misl/chapter teams, committees, and leaders.
- Community organizer will be spending quite a number of hours on the phone, so must become comfortable cold calling – new volunteers, existing supporters, and even donors.
- Assist the appropriate staff and volunteer leaders with planning and implementation of assigned programs, including recruitment, outreach, engagement, maintaining lists and databases, and making arrangements for events and activities.
- Provide program support as needed, including administrative support and volunteer supervision
- Assist in chapter/misl fundraising efforts as needed.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Preferred if employee has the following education/experience:
- Bachelors Degree required
- A strong desire to learn and willing to take risks
- Experience in youth organizing, highly considered
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and handle multiple long and short-term tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and develop long-term virtual relationships.
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, self-motivated and excellent follow through skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organization levels.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn computer applications, including MS Office, Nationbuilder database, and other web-based applications
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal – especially in the form of presentations, lectures, and even cold-calling for telephonic communication
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Preference for bilinguality – Punjabi and English
- This position will be FULL-TIME and located in the Bay Area and greater Sacramento Region, and candidate must have access to a vehicle.
- Position Start Date: late Summer 2015
- Minimum Commitment: 24 months
- Compensation: $30,000+ (based on experience) plus benefits, including medical, dental, vacation, and sick leave
Application: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jakara Movement at email@example.com.
The final deadline to apply is June 15, 2015