Job Opening: Join the Movement as a Community Organizer
The Jakara Movement with the Guru’s Nadir (Grace), seva of our volunteers, and the baksh (benediction) of the Sangat is pleased to announce our second employment position. We are seeking a part-time Community Organizer to help develop the gambit of Jakara Movement programs and chapters (misls).
Position Title: Community Organizer
Organizational Relationship: Reporting to the Council and Director of Programming
The Jakara Movement Community Organizer will recruit and train a chapter’s volunteers, help them organize communities, and implement community campaigns and actions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help lead the development and coordination of the youth membership program to build core leadership, youth organizing capacities, and development of members.
- Lead the development of school clubs at local high schools and local colleges/universities
- Lead the development of working relationships with key local institutions (including Gurdwaras), ally youth organizations and intermediary groups (movement and coalition building).
- Work with current misl leaders, while recruiting and training new volunteer leaders as needed, identify and develop program outcomes (including responses to local community events) goals, strategies, tactics, and timelines.
- Connect volunteers/misl councils to action items in response to community crisis events (ie protests, social media campaigns, donation drives, letter/petition writing campaigns, etc).
- Implement and help with re-assessment of existing plans.
- Train volunteers in community organizing skills and execution, including workshops, informal meetings, and when possible, one-on-one trainings.
- Act as supporter, mentor, coach, and example to volunteers at the entry through top leadership levels.
- Make presentations to community bodies regarding misl (chapter) efforts. Writes press releases, newsletters, flyers, blogs, usage of SM etc, to keep the membership and the general public informed. Train volunteers on how to perform these functions.
- Maintain volunteer database and lists of volunteer openings and refers interested members to appropriate misl/chapter teams, committees, and leaders.
- Assist the appropriate staff and volunteer leaders with planning and implementation of assigned programs, including recruitment, outreach, engagement, maintaining lists and databases, and making arrangements for events and activities.
- Provide program support as needed, including administrative support and volunteer supervision
- Assist in chapter fundraising efforts as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Preferred if employee has the following education/experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services, Health, Social Work, Education or a related field required.
- Experience in youth organizing, highly considered
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and handle multiple long and short-term tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and develop long-term virtual relationships.
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, self-motivated and excellent follow though skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organization levels.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn computer applications, including MS Office, Nationbuilder database, and other web-based applications
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Preference for bilinguality – Punjabi and English
- This position will be located in the Merced, Stanislaus, San Joaquin County areas and must have access to a vehicle.
- Position Start Date: mid-April 2013
- Minimum Commitment: 1.5 Years
- Compensation: $17,000 plus benefits (including re-settling stipend), including medical, dental, vacation, and sick leave
Application: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jakara Movement at [email protected].
The final deadline to apply is Friday March 29, 2013 at 5pm