Position Title: PART-TIME - SoCal Community Organizer
Organizational Relationship: Reporting to the Executive Director
The Jakara Movement Community Organizer will recruit, develop, retain and train local volunteers to promote programming and projects, build a greater media and civic presence in the wider community, and implement local campaigns and actions.
APPLICATIONS DUE: December 17th and will begin start date after discussion with applicant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help lead the development and coordination of the youth membership program to build core leadership, youth organizing capacities, and development of members.
- Lead the development of chapters at local colleges/universities (Sikh Students Associations/Jakara Movement Chapter)
- Lead the development of working relationships with key local institutions (including Gurdwaras), ally youth organizations and intermediary groups (movement and coalition building).
- Train volunteers in community organizing skills and execution, including workshops, informal meetings, and when possible, one-on-one trainings.
- Develop content and materials for workshops, activities and lessons
- Act as supporter, mentor, coach, and example to volunteers at the entry through top leadership levels.
- Make presentations to community bodies regarding misl (chapter) efforts. Writes press releases, newsletters, flyers, blogs, usage of SM etc, to keep the membership and the general public informed. Train volunteers on how to perform these functions.
- Maintain volunteer database and lists of volunteer openings and refers interested members to appropriate misl/chapter teams, committees, and leaders.
- Administrative tasks linked to fundraising and donor developments
- Assist the appropriate staff and volunteer leaders with planning and implementation of assigned programs, including recruitment, outreach, engagement, maintaining lists and databases, and making arrangements for events and activities.
- Provide program support as needed, including administrative support and volunteer supervision
- Performs administrative duties as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Preferred if employee has the following education/experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services, Health, Social Work, Education or a related field required (not required though, we will look at applicants of current undergraduates)
- Experience in youth organizing, highly considered
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and handle multiple long and short-term tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and develop long-term virtual relationships.
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, self-motivated and excellent follow though skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organization levels.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn computer applications, including MS Office, Nationbuilder, Slack, database, and other web-based applications
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Preference for bilinguality – Punjabi and English
- This position will be PART-TIME in Southern California and will be working with other collegiate campuses - UCR, UCI, UCLA, USC, CSUN, etc. Candidate must have access to a vehicle.
- Position Start Date: As soon as possible
- Minimum Commitment: 1 year
- Compensation: TBA
Application: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jakara Movement at firstname.lastname@example.org - as subject heading write 'SoCal Community Organizer'