Position Title: 209 Community Organizer (Stockton to Merced)
Organizational Relationship: Reporting to the Executive Director
The Jakara Movement Community Organizer will recruit, develop, retain and train local volunteers to promote programming and projects, build a greater media and civic presence in the wider community, and implement local campaigns and actions.
APPLICATIONS DUE: May 15th and will begin start date after discussion with applicant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help lead the development and coordination of the youth membership program to build core leadership, youth organizing capacities, and development of members.
- Lead the development of school clubs at local high schools (Sikh Honors and Service Societies) and local colleges/universities (Sikh Students Associations/Jakara Movement Chapter)
- Lead the development of working relationships with key local institutions (including Gurdwaras), ally youth organizations and intermediary groups (movement and coalition building).
- Work with current misl leaders, while recruiting and training new volunteer leaders as needed, identify and develop program outcomes (including responses to local community events) goals, strategies, tactics, and timelines.
- Connect volunteers/misl councils to action items in response to community crisis events (ie protests, social media campaigns, donation drives, letter/petition writing campaigns, etc).
- Implement and help with re-assessment of existing plans.
- Train volunteers in community organizing skills and execution, including workshops, informal meetings, and when possible, one-on-one trainings.
- Work with parents in communities in needs assessments and program development and execution
- Develop content and materials for workshops, activities and lessons
- Act as supporter, mentor, coach, and example to volunteers at the entry through top leadership levels.
- Make presentations to community bodies regarding misl (chapter) efforts. Writes press releases, newsletters, flyers, blogs, usage of SM etc, to keep the membership and the general public informed. Train volunteers on how to perform these functions.
- Maintain volunteer database and lists of volunteer openings and refers interested members to appropriate misl/chapter teams, committees, and leaders.
- Build links with other communities and political leaders in the area
- Create coalitions and joint projects with allied communities
- Join key County and City commissions related to work
- Work with local politicians, city councils, school boards, and school administrators to build power and influence policy and institutions
- Fundraising work in the local area
- Administrative tasks linked to fundraising and donor developments
- Assist the appropriate staff and volunteer leaders with planning and implementation of assigned programs, including recruitment, outreach, engagement, maintaining lists and databases, and making arrangements for events and activities.
- Provide program support as needed, including administrative support and volunteer supervision
- Performs administrative duties as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Preferred if employee has the following education/experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services, Health, Social Work, Education or a related field required.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience/or Masters level education
- Experience in youth organizing, highly considered
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and handle multiple long and short-term tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and develop long-term virtual relationships.
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, self-motivated and excellent follow though skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organization levels.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn computer applications, including MS Office, Nationbuilder, Slack, database, and other web-based applications
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Preference for bilinguality – Punjabi and English
- This position will be FULL-TIME in the area code 209 region - from Stockton to Merced, though at present our presence is strongest in Ceres, Livingston, and at CSU Stanislaus. Candidate must have access to a vehicle.
- Position Start Date: As soon as possible
- Minimum Commitment: 2 Years
- Compensation: TBA plus benefits, including medical, dental, vacation, and sick leave
Application: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jakara Movement at email@example.com - as subject heading write '209 Community Organizer'