Community Organizer Intern
The Jakara Movement seeks motivated applicants for the Community Organizer Internship. The internship will begin in March/April 2016 and continue through June 2016. The application is rolling and all applicants will be considered, until the position is filled. The internship is paid and will take an average of 4-6 hours per week.
The internship is designed to increase engagement, organizing, and youth-capacity building amongst the Punjabi Sikh community in Bakersfield, CA.
High School Engagement
- Help develop proto-clubs at Bakersfield-area high schools
- Create leadership and community service opportunities for the high school youth
- Recruit high school participants by visiting area high schools and maintaining a presence at Gurdwaras and community events
- Connect the region’s high school students with the larger Jakara Movement community for participation in various events and activities
- Help develop proto-chapter at CSUB and Bakersfield College
- Create programming to increase campus presence
- Recruit participants and members through active personal and digital outreach
Lalkaar Planning - Lalkaar, the Jakara Movement’s annual collegiate conference, will be held in Bakersfield, CA in June 2016
- Assist with recruitment in the Bakersfield area at local high schools and colleges
- Execute planning and bookings of venues and vendors
- Recruit local community to assist with the execution of the conference
- Build relationships with local community leaders, especially at Gurdwaras
- Execute a Jakara Juniors youth camp, utilizing local volunteers recruited at the high schools and colleges
Key Behavioral Competencies
- Leadership: Able to motivate others to take personal responsibility; mobilize people to face, define and solve problems; develop capacity of others to adapt to change
- Develop Relationships: Able to relate with others while building credibility and rapport; give personal support and reassurance; put others at ease; build cooperative relationships
- Organizational Awareness: Able to identify and use information about people, political dynamics and the organization’s climate in order to promote change
- Bachelors degree or equivalent
- Experience within the Jakara Movement helpful
- Bilingual in English and Punjabi helpful
- Ability to learn new mobile and database resources
Training and support will be provided by the Jakara Movement Executive Director and the Southern California Community Organizer. Progress calls and deadline reviews will be weekly with opportunities for personal and real-time feedback.
Pay compensation will be $11/hour and consist of work 4-6 hours per week.
Please email resume and cover-letter to email@example.com with subject line: Bakersfield Intern.